Monday, December 10, 2007

Clint Langley


Flashback to the summer of 2002: I’ve just been commissioned to write my first full-length 100,000 word novel and then, to top it all, I discover that Clint Langley is to produce the front cover! I danced the Happy Dance that day, I can tell you.

If I remember rightly, I first came across Clint’s work in 2000AD on the much underrated strip ‘Dinosity’. He went on to produce art for Judge Dredd strips and the like, and then came ‘Slaine: Lord of Misrule’ where the time-travelling axe-of-the-Earth-Goddess took on the Sheriff of Nottingham, and an extraterrestrial Blood God. I loved Clint’s pen work on this strip and the way in which he realised monsters on the page.

Fast forward a few years and Clint was now working with writer Pat Mills on Slaine again, only now using digital techniques to produce the most startling, photo-realistic images I had seen in a comic in a long time. More recently he has used those same techniques to good effect with the ABC Warriors. In the meantime, of course, he has also been producing every other cover for the Black Library’s novel lines (or so it seems). And there’s nothing wrong with that as far as I’m concerned.





The cover image he produced for ‘The Dead and the Damned’ has our heroes, Torben Badenov and his band of mercenaries, battling the undead hordes of a nefarious necromancer. I still harbour the vain hope that I might one day be able to return to relating the adventures of Badenov’s Band and that Clint might produce a cover for one of my novels again.

Here’s hoping...

In the meantime, follow this link to Clint’s own homepage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home