Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Out with the old...

I've started a new project this week, my next Ulysses Quicksilver Pax Britannia adventure Human Nature, due to be published by Abaddon Books this December. It's great to get back to Pax Britannia after a bit of a break. I've written three books since Leviathan Rising (although I did have two weeks 'off' to write the Ulysses Quicksilver novella Vanishing Point) and it's good to immerse myself in the steampunk setting once again.

But a new project means a whole new set of research materials and other notes cluttering up my desk, so before commencing, I had a bit of a sort out, putting away all my books about Christmas, and the like, which I used in the writing of What is Myrrh Anyway? (out in October from Icon Books). You can see how things have changed in these before and after shots.


My desk whilst after writing What is Myrrh Anyway?


A tidied workspace, ready to start on Human Nature.

There's that old adage, a tidy desk is a sign of a tidy mind (or a sick mind, depending on your own personal philosophy), but for me, my workspace has to reflect what I'm working on, to help keep me focused on the project in hand. I find this particularly important when juggling so many different balls in the air at the same time, writing books for widely varying genres.

So, while I was penning The Horror of Howling Hill, I had my Doctor Who Encyclopedia out, other Decide your Destiny books available to check style and an inflatable Dalek. With Match Wits with the Kids I was surrounded by all manner of reference books, diagrams and miscellanies. And now? Well, there are guide books of Whitby, a map of the North York Moors, postcards of Whitby Abbey and pictures of dried fish carcasses... and it's all the name of research.

So, until next time...

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Al said...

It's always exciting starting a new thing isn't it!

And I wish my desk - even when cluttered - looked like yours! Currently it's a mass of papers, cards, scribbles, and assorted badges!

June 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Jonathan Green said...

Believe me, it doesn't normally look this tidy and well-ordered. You should have seen it when I was half-way through my last project.

But it must be cool when the badges and postcards cluttering up your desk are your own!

June 4, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home